Skirt Instructions

Pioneer Skirt

My skirt is two lengths of 44-in. fabric sewn together. I held the bolt of fabric at my waste and let it fall to drag an inch or two on the floor. Then I doubled that length. That gave me just about the right length of skirt when I hemmed it right below my calf. You should be able to walk up stairs without stepping on it. If you want a ruffle at the bottom of the skirt, you will want to add 10 inches to my measurement.

Although, the pattern shows sewing both pieces of fabric together without cutting it, I removed 8 inches of fabric at the top of both sides of the skirt and tapered it down to the bottom. I wanted to have lots of material to move in while walking, but worried about the bulkiness of a lot of fabric around my waste.

After sewing the sides together, I made the casing for the 1-in. elastic band. I eased the elastic through the casing after wrapping it around my waste and adding plenty of extra elastic to work with, (at least 3 inches).

It is a good idea to try on the skirt with the bloomers underneath in case your skirt needs more room in the waste.